Sunday, January 8, 2017

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Snow Like Ashes #1


Book synopsis

snow like ashes, book, sara raasch, fantasy, romance, fiction, chosen oneSixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.
Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.
So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own. Snow Like Ashes

My opinion

3.5/5 starts
Great book. It has some Falling Kingdoms' vibe to it. And to be sincere, I did not quite feel the romance in this book. Yeah right. She is attracted to Mather because he was the only male at the camp at her age. He is the "heir" to Winter's throne. I get it. It's forbidden so of course she would have feelings for him. I understand the situation; although I did not get too many details to feel connected and care about the romance. When Theron was introduced, I was like "whatever" again. He was better because I was able to see layers of Theron by the end of the book. I think that by himself, Theron, is great character. I felt sorry for Mather because he was turned more into a background character. And from what I learned about him, he had so much more potential.
Meira was a badass. I loved her. We connect 85% of the time. Her voice as a narrator was great. The vivid details which she used to tell the story made everything come to life in my mind.
Also, I kind of guessed the major twist of the book. It was quite obvious. ;)
        
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Magic,  Romance
Language: mild to none
Sexual content: none to mild
Violence: moderate to heavy
Drugs/Alcohol: mild to none

No comments:

Post a Comment